Yesterday was the final session of the series of workshops on the college search for Northwood juniors. We focused on Asking Teachers For Recommendations. Here are the handouts and the presentation:
- Asking for Teacher Recommendations (slides)
- How to Ask Teachers for Recommendations (2018)
- Extra Common App teacher rec request form
- Extra Northwood rec request form
- Extra “Student Reflection For Teacher Recommendation”
Items currently on junior to-do lists include…
- Ask teachers for recommendations.
- Work on your resume
- Work on your college essay
- Clean up your social media.
- Visit colleges over the summer. If you can’t visit, be sure to check out their “virtual tours” online.
- Have a summer test prep plan. For the SAT, use Khan Academy.
- Get a summer job.
- Keep your “Colleges I’m Thinking About” list up-to-date.
Did you miss the meeting? See your college counselor for the recommendation packet and instructions.
Before finals begin, ask for at least three recommendations and return your green slip, which lists everyone you asked, to Mr. Spear or your college counselor. On your green slip, you must only list teachers you have asked. If you didn’t ask the teachers, they won’t write the recommendation, even if you list them on the green slip.
Remember, we want you to ask for at least three recommendations, but you may ask for more.