Here is a quick overview of Northwood School’s program about the colleges search and application process for Juniors.
1) Monday, November 13: Taking Stock
- Where are you?
- The Junior Timeline
- The Great Sorting Game
- Homework: Resume worksheet
2) Monday, December 11: What, When, Who?
- Understanding your PSAT results
- Your “Team”
- Family Connection
- Homework: Log into Family Connection
3) Wednesday, January 3: Standardized Testing
- SAT vs. ACT
- Other Tests
- Testing Timetable
- Khan Academy and other test prep
- Homework: Take SAT and ACT diagnostic Tests
4) Tuesday, January 23: The College Search Bring your laptops!
- Making a Match
- Research Colleges
- Homework: Use Family Connection. Make a list of prospective colleges.
5) Tuesday, February 13: College athletics and getting recruited
- What is the difference between DI, DII, and DIII schools, in terms of competitiveness and scholarship possibilities/lack thereof?
- How does the NCAA clearinghouse/ eligibility work?
- Picking a School for Academic and Athletic Reasons: How would you feel if you went to a certain school for a sport and did not make the team or got injured? Pick a school that is a fit in every way, not just athletically.
6) Tuesday, February 27: Making the Most of a Visit
- Visit Checklists
- Reno will speak.
- Homework: Go for at least one college visit. Keep a journal and take notes on the visit(s). The Northwood College Guidance Office will offer the following trip options:
- a) University of Vermont and St. Michaels.
- b) St. Lawrence University and Clarkson University and SUNY Potsdam
- c) Siena and Albany
7) Tuesday, March 20: The Application
- Decision Plans
- Common Application
- Homework: Complete the Common Application on Paper, except for the essays.
8) Wednesday, April 18: The Essay
- What is a good topic?
- Homework: Write a practice Essay in Your English class.
9) Wednesday, May 2: The Interview
- Types of Interviews.
- How to present yourself.
- Practice Interview Questions.
- Homework: Make a list of plans for the summer. Accomplish all of the tasks on your summer list.