During this session we discussed the different types of testing (SAT, ACT, SAT Subject Tests, TOEFL, AP) and when to take them.
I also introduced Khan Academy’s SAT prep program. Northwood students are able to prepare for the SAT at their own pace, at absolutely no cost. Download a real, full-length SAT practice test, watch an expert work through real SAT problems, and get even more practice using interactive exercises, which feature lots of previously-unreleased problems from real SATs grouped by topic and difficulty level. If students feel like they need to brush up on fundamentals, they can check out the Algebra mission, which will help them master core concepts covered on the SAT.
Their homework after this sessions is…
- Take a full-length SAT and ACT at Northwood in March
- Register for the SAT or ACT this spring
- Get started with Khan Academy SAT Prep
Here are resources I distributed at the session:
- Standardized Testing Packet_-_Juniors_2018
- SAT and ACT score concordances (2016)
- The Competitive Landscape (test scores and acceptance rates at selective schools)
– John Spear
Director of College Counseling