Before we went through the Common Application I reviewed the things juniors should be doing right now:
- Meet with your college counselor
- Add to your “colleges I’m thinking about” list
- Take the Game Plan survey
- Take the Personality Type survey
- Prepare for the SAT (use PrepMe)
- Register for the SAT Subject Test(s) on June 7
- Register for the ACT on June 14 (take it at home)
- Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center (prospective Div I and II athletes)
- Complete the other tasks assigned to you
We reviewed the Common Application, section by section. This is a great exercise because it previews all of the types of questions students will be asked on their college application. Students can create a Common App account now and begin working on the application.
Finally, we considered the essay, and I shared with students some advice on writing an essay that enhances the application. Most juniors will soon begin drafting a college essay in English class.