Last night’s session in the ongoing series of workshops on the college search and application process for Northwood juniors was about the college application.
Before we went through the Common Application I reviewed the things juniors should be doing right now:
- Meet with your college counselor
- Add to your “colleges I’m thinking about” list
- In your English class, write a draft of your college essay. More resources here.
- Take the Game Plan survey
- Take the Personality Type survey
- Prepare for the SAT (use PrepMe)
- Register for the SAT Subject Test(s) on June 7
- Register for the ACT on June 14 (take it at home)
- Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center (prospective Div I and II athletes)
- Complete the other tasks assigned to you
We reviewed the Common Application, section by section. This is a great exercise because it previews all of the types of questions students will be asked on their college application. Students can create a Common App account now and begin working on the application.
Finally, we considered the essay, and I shared with students some advice on writing an essay that enhances the application. Most juniors will soon begin drafting a college essay in English class.
Slides from the presentation are available here. Handouts are here.